Communications and Marketing Campaigns

  • Are there services that offer help in developing campaigns/strategies to target culturally and linguistically diverse communities in NSW?
Yes. For information, contact our Manager Communication and Social Marketing, Michael Camit.           Email or phone 02 9816 0305

[back to top]

Cultural Competence in the health sector

  • What are the key components of a culturally competent health service?

The following frameworks and plans may be of help:

National Health and Medical Research Council

    Cultural Competency in health: A guide for policy, partnerships and participation

    Language Services

    • Where can I find an Interpreter in NSW?

    If you are accessing a NSW Health service there are health care interpreter services available in Local Health Districts. Their contact numbers are available in the following publication: Multicultural Health Directory

    Alternatively you may contact the Translating & Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. The Australian Government, through the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, provides TIS for people who do not speak English and for English speakers needing to communicate with them.

    TIS is Australia's only national service, and is available to any person or organisation in Australia requiring interpreting services. TIS is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and is accessible from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call.

    • Can I ask for an Interpreter in hospital?

    Yes. According to the 'NSW Health Circular Standard Procedures for the Use of Health Care Interpreters' (94/10) all clients of non-English speaking background should be informed about the Health Care Interpreter Service (HCIS) and their ability to access a professional health care interpreter.

    [back to top]

    NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service Website Information

    • Can I reproduce resources/publications on the website?

    Permission is required in order to reproduce any resources/publications on the website. Please contact the service for further information:

    [back to top]

    Services and Multicultural Organisations

    • What health services are available for culturally diverse communities in NSW?

    The Multicultural Health Directory provides details of services and programs for culturally diverse communities in NSW.

    • What are the peak organisations for multicultural communities in NSW?

    A listing of peak organisations for multicultural communities in NSW is provided by the Community Relations Commission.

    • Is there a directory of multicultural health services?

    Yes. The Multicultural Health Directory provides details of services and programs for culturally diverse communities in NSW.

    • Where can I get information on issues to do with immigration and visas?

    Contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

    • Where can I get information about Medicare eligibility?

    Call Translating and Interpreting Service National on 131 450 about Medicare. You can also visit one of their Service Centres that offer free interpreters and document translations for Human Services business.

    • Where can I get information about government financial assistance and help finding work?

    Visit the Centrelink website

    [back to top]


    • Where can I go to have resources translated?

    Please contact our Translations Manager for more information: 9816 0309

    • Is there a guide to help me with translations? What makes a good translation?

    The NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service has developed Translation Guidelines to assist with developing and checking translations.

    • Where can I find free translated information?

    For translated health information by subject category browse our site.

    • Where can I find links to other websites containing translated information?
    See our Useful Sites on a wide variety of topics and languages.

    • which Chinese language should I select?

    Mandarin and Cantonese are spoken languages, while Simplified and Traditional Chinese Characters are written languages.

    Mandarin is the official language of the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC, also known as Taiwan), as well as one of four official languages of Singapore. Cantonese is one of the official languages of Hong Kong (together with English) and of Macau (together with Portuguese) and also widely used by people from Southern China (mainly from Guang Dong Province).

    There are currently two systems for Chinese characters: Traditional Chinese character system and Simplified Chinese character system. The Traditional Chinese character is used in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau and Chinese speaking communities (except Singapore and Malaysia) outside mainland China. The Simplified Chinese character is used in Mainland China and Singapore and Malaysia.

    Here are some examples:


    Spoken Language

    Written Language

    Mainland China

    Mandarin or Cantonese

    Simplified Chinese

    Hong Kong and Macau


    Traditional Chinese



    Traditional Chinese



    Simplified Chinese

    [back to top]