The NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service (MHCS) has been working with the NSW Ministry of Health since 2009 in the dissemination of information of the Get Healthy Information and Coaching Service to culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities in NSW.
For 2013, the project aims to increase awareness of the Get Healthy Service among and referral of people from CALD communities by increasing awareness of the Get Healthy Service among Primary and Allied Health professionals who deliver health care services to CALD populations
The three targeted communities are the Filipino, Indian and Sri Lankan groups that have high levels of the English language. The Get Healthy Service is a free telephone service on 1300 806 258 is staffed by qualified health coaches aimed at supporting adults at risk of developing chronic diseases, in making lifestyle changes regarding:
- Healthy eating
- Physical activity
- Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight
The Get Healthy Service provides free information and ongoing coaching support, individually tailored to the participant’s needs. Participants will receive up to 10 telephone based coaching calls over six month period and will be supported through printed materials, emails and access to a secure website where they can keep track of their goals and monitor their progress. The Get Healthy Service will help maintain motivation, identify problem areas and create solutions for successful lifestyle change.[back to top]
- To increase the awareness of the Get Healthy Service by health professionals who deliver primary and allied health care to Filipino, Indian and Sri Lankan communities.
- To increase the awareness of the Get Healthy Service to relevant non-government, community and health organisations that deliver services to Filipino, Indian and Sri Lankan communities.
- To facilitate the involvement of relevant Filipino, Indian and Sri Lankan health professional peak bodies, associations and networking events in promoting the Get Healthy Service to their members and the community.
- To facilitate the promotion of the Get Healthy Service by providing Local Health District Multicultural Health Service employees with professional development about the service.
The primary audiences for this project include individuals and groups that provide services to Filipino, Indian and Sri Lankan communities, including:
- Primary and allied health professionals
- Non-government, community and health organisations
- Health professional peak bodies and associations
- Local Health District Multicultural Health Service employees
- Conduct information and workshop sessions with the medical associations from the Filipino, Indian and Sri Lankan communities where the benefits of the Get Healthy Service are highlighted and referrals are encouraged.
- Conduct workshops with three Multicultural Health Services in Local Health Districts that work closely with the targeted language groups to outline the Get Healthy Service and discuss, explore and identify ways to integrate Get Healthy referrals into their organisational practices.
- Implement a media plan which include coordination of multiplatform (print, radio, television and online) interviews with health professionals belonging to the targeted groups to encourage their communities to use the Get Healthy Service.
Get Healthy Posters / Print Ads in English targeting the following language groups:
Get Healthy Brochures:
For more information please contact MHCS on T. 02 9816 0347.