Find our answers to frequently asked questions below.

Communications and Marketing Campaigns

Are there services that offer help in developing campaigns/strategies to target culturally and linguistically diverse communities in NSW?

Yes. For information contact us.

Cultural Competence in the health sector

Language Services

Where can I find an Interpreter in NSW?

Professional health care interpreters are available in all NSW Health services, including hospitals and community health centres.

This is a free and confidential service. The health professional is responsible for organising the interpreter.

If you wish to contact a health service using an interpreter,  you can call the National Translating & Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450

TIS is Australia's only national service is available to any person or organisation in Australia requiring interpreting services. TIS is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and is accessible from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call.

Can I ask for an Interpreter in hospital?

Yes. It is NSW Health policy that patients and carers who do not speak English fluently should be informed about the Health Care Interpreter Service (HCIS) and be provided with a professional health care interpreter.

MHCS Website Information

Can I reproduce resources/publications on the website?

Resources can be downloaded for free and used for the purpose of providing information to patients or community members.

Permission is required in order to reproduce any resources/publications on the website. Please contact the service for further information

Services and Multicultural Organisations

What health services are available for culturally diverse communities in NSW?

The Multicultural Health Directory provides details of services and programs for culturally diverse communities in NSW.

Is there a directory of multicultural health services?

Yes. The Multicultural Health Directory provides details of services and programs for culturally diverse communities in NSW.

Where can I get information on issues to do with immigration and visas?

Contact the Department of Home Affairs

Where can I get information about Medicare eligibility?

Visit the Department of Human Services website:

Where can I get information about government financial assistance and help finding work?

Visit the Department of Human Services website:


Where can I go to have resources translated?

Please contact our Translations Manager for more information

Is there a guide to help me with translations? What makes a good translation?

The NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service has developed Translation Guidelines to assist with developing and checking translations.

Where can I find free translated information?

For translated health information browse our site.

Where can I find links to other websites containing translated information?

See our Useful Sites on a wide variety of topics and languages.

   Which Chinese language should I choose for my translations?

   Mandarin and Cantonese are spoken languages while Simplified and Traditional Chinese are written languages.

   Best practice is to translate into both written languages.

Mandarin is the official language of the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC, also known as  Taiwan), as well as one of four official languages of Singapore. Cantonese is one of the official languages of Hong Kong (together with English) and of Macau (together with Portuguese) and also widely used by people from Southern China (mainly from Guangdong Province).

There are currently two systems for Chinese characters: Traditional Chinese character system and Simplified Chinese character system. The Traditional Chinese character is used in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau and Chinese speaking communities (except Singapore and Malaysia) outside mainland China. The Simplified Chinese character is used in Mainland China and Singapore and Malaysia.

Here are some examples:

Country/Area Spoken Language Written Language
Mainland China Mandarin or Cantonese Simplified Chinese
Hong Kong and Macau Cantonese Traditional Chinese
Taiwan Mandarin Traditional Chinese
Singapore Mandarin Simplified Chinese